Sunday, July 31, 2011

Another Traverse

Entrance to Valley of the Planet of the Apes
I think I'm biased on my blog. I tend to blog about the absolutely and unending fun things like ATV traverses. The work is important but I think the exploration that comes with the ATV traverses is tremendously spirit-lifting. I love what I do on Devon Island but ATV traverses really top the list, but top the list in a different way. Coming here with a mindset to work is the proper way of interpreting the situation here, but gosh, these ATV traverses are absolutely superlative. To be more succinct, the work here is instructional and is the main reason I'm here, and secondly, to have a really good time. With that said, I've loved working with Sean Dougherty (Robotics), Chris Zacny (Geotechnics) and Pascal Lee (Director of the HMP and Geologist extraordinaire). I've become friends with everyone here and have learned so much from their respective fields. Three of the younger guys, Mark, Jesse, and Ben are real cool guys. Kira, the logistics manager, is too funny, and Julie, the chef for the season likens me to a vulture because I hover around for each of the meal times. It's all in good fun though, and she's got some of the most hilarious stories I've ever heard.


The traverse today was intended to scout for weather stations and attempt to use them, essentially. The other parts included traversing throughout different areas. Here're some pics:
Haughton Crater


Planet of The Apes Valley behind me




ATV Haughton Crater Crew


Massive Ejecta block from the Impact












Beautiful Trinity Lake (Pond rather)

1 comment:

  1. On my site http://www.galaxyessay.com/ you can see my paper work and my friends. Do not hesitate to re-read. There are a lot of interesting and useful.

    ReplyDelete