Wednesday, July 27, 2011

GeoTechnical Pursuits

Dr. Kris Zacny of Honeybee Robotics with College of San Mateo
student and Mars Institute intern Luis Alvarez during the geotechnical
survey of terrain types at and around the Haughton impact structure,
Devon Island, High Arctic. Kris is seen holding the dynamic cone
penetrometer used for the study. The survey is part of the "Robotic Follow-up
Experiment" led by Principal Investigator Dr Maria Bualat of NASA
Ames Research Center and funded by NASA's Moon and Mars Analog
Missions Activities (MMAMA) Program. (Photo Haughton-Mars Project-
2011/Pascal Lee).
Yesterday, I was allowed the opportunity to help Dr. Kris Zacny in a Geotechnical study. I learned a lot, and had to do a bit of math, and one hour before leaving for the field work, I had to learn how to use and coordinate a route on a GPS System I had never used before. Needless to say, I excelled with flying colors. But enough about me. Dr. Zacny took me out, showed me how to go about conducting the survey and answered all questions I had about the survey. What can I say? Only that it's amazing learning new things, especially from individuals like Zacny that care about what they teach and who they're teaching it to.

1 comment:

  1. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you grademiners review . Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty blog with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! all the best!

    ReplyDelete